Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Ouput Multiple xlsx files

jogayon001
7 - Meteor

Hi everyone, 

Currently exploring how I can output multiple files from a workflow. I have multiple files of the same schema and I want to run them in one workflow. The same process applies to all files. Also, I need to output each files after each run in the workflow. 

I have this design right now 

jogayon001_0-1580721158618.png

What its doing is creating sheets per record. 😕 instead of creating xlsx file per input file

This is m standard macro. 

jogayon001_2-1580721239361.png

I hope someone in the community can help me out. 

4 REPLIES 4
DiegoParker
10 - Fireball

Hi Jogayon,

Unfortunately I can't open your workflow as I'm on a lower version of Alteryx but there are a couple of threads that have helped me in the past:

For the input:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Tool-Mastery-Dynamic-Input/ta-p/249...

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/How-To-Import-Multiple-Excel-Sheets...

For the output:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Output-data-into-multiple-files/td-p/1...

What I'd do is to select the "Output FileName as field" in your input tool (considering the share the same schema). Then I'd select the "Take FileName from field" in your output tool. The field I'd use would be that one generated in my input tool. Hope that makes any sense.

Best,

Diego

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @jogayon001,

Please find attached a workflow showing how to do it. I attached also the dummy files I used:

Untitled.png

You are more than welcome to get a more specific workflow for your case, but would need to get the data too (even if its a dummy)

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Regards

jogayon001
7 - Meteor

Hi 

I am able to create a sheet for the output. Thank you for the assistance. I have a little challenge though. I am getting an error in the output data tool "unable to open archive for zipping". Would you know the reason behind this? 

jogayon001_0-1580863526880.png

Is it possible to save the output files in a separate folder? I want to create an output folder for all the files that have been executed in the workflow. 

Thanks again.

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @jogayon001,

The configuration is now set to save the file (as I gave it to you) on the same path the macro is stored. It is possible to do what you want, you would need to do two changes:

- On the filename put the entire path (C:/Users/Documents..../Filename.xlsx|||sheetname

- Change the output config to "Change entire file path". this configuration can be changed on the bottom part of the window, just beneath the "take file/table name from field"

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Regards

Labels