Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Order of Operations or "Pulling from an Ouput, that Was Modified in the Same Workflow"

nbrightw
7 - Meteor

Hey Everyone,

Mark from Marquee Crew provided me the steps to create this solution. Credit where credit is due. I was asked to explain this for some colleagues and thought it would be great to share with the community.

Scenario:
You need to output some data, then run an additional section of tools on that output which was modified (See the output and input “B”. The problem, is that Alteryx does not necessarily have an “order of operations” to process data. So your data runs like this  (The comment boxes show the order of operations):

nbrightw_0-1617904609059.jpeg

What you would like is something like this:

nbrightw_1-1617904609063.jpeg

Solution:
To do this, you have to join the tables by some means, late in the first table, and early in the second table. Using the count rows tool and the append tool. You can force this to occur.

nbrightw_2-1617904609065.jpeg

The input at 5 cannot go further than 6 without getting data from four. 4 cannot get data without running the entire script of 1 through 3.

Note:
You will want to open the append tool, and remove “Count” as an option so it does not end up in your data.

nbrightw_3-1617904609067.png

I have attached a workflow that goes through this process. You will likely have to change the output and input files to make it work on your computer.

0 REPLIES 0
Labels