Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Order of Columns

JBO
8 - Asteroid

Hello -

I spent a lot of time getting the fields for my Join in the order I need them, but when I run it the results display the columns in a completely different order. Is there a way to get my results to display in the order I set in the Configuration window for the Join? I would also like my export to Excel to be in that order.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@JBO,

If you order the fields in the join, you will get the data to output (from the J anchor) in exactly that order.  If you should take the L or R anchor data, then you need to specify the order post the join tool with a Select.  In my example workflow, you can see that I join data together and weave the fields into a format that is preserved and ready for Excel output.

Capture.png

I hope that this helps you.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
JBO
8 - Asteroid

Thank you!

brad_j_crep
8 - Asteroid

Is there a way to order them dynamically?  I have two groups of data.  One is columns of percentages the other is columns of indices. 

Name|RIng 1|Ring2|Trade Area|CBSA  which is joined to Name|Index Ring 1|Index Ring 2|Index TA|Index CBSA

What I'd like to see is:

Name|Ring 1|Index 1|Ring 2|Index 2|TA|Index Trade Area|CBSA|Index CBSA

I'd be fine with the above solution but there could be anywhere from 1 to 5 rings and I don't think the above will work for a dynamic list.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

tom_montpool
12 - Quasar

See the following Community post:

Sort-Field-Names-Tool

I use this tool in combination with some dynamic renaming to output tables with fields in a particular order.

The Field Sort tool takes advantage of the Union tool's feature that the field order and type from the first connection is applied to subsequent connections.

Thanks again to @AdamR_AYX!!

Labels