community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Upgrade Alteryx Designer in 10 Steps

Debating whether or not to upgrade to the latest version of Alteryx Designer?

LEARN MORE

Oracle Synonyms in Alteryx

Meteor

Is there anything special we have to do to get Oracle Synonyms to show up in Alteryx Visual Query Builder as oracle tables?  I have access to the real tables, but they are _X and _Y, meaning I never know which one is current without digging in.  The company solved this by setting up Synonyms, which works great for SQL Developer and Business Objects.  But for the life of me, I can't figure out how to get them to show up in Alteryx Visual Query Builder.  I've verified I have access because I can run simple queries in SQL Developer.  One person was able to do it and the synonym.table icons show up, but they are green.  What does green mean?

Alteryx
Alteryx

@Suzanne

Tables named with Oracle Synonyms generally do not show up in the list of Tables, but do show up in the Visual Query Builder if they are a part of the schema the user has access to.  In cases where they are part of a different schema or are "owned" by a different user, they may not appear.  Sometimes it is possible to access them from the SQL Editor via an appropriately constructed SQL query, even when they don't appear in the main window of the Visual Query Builder.

In general Visual Query Builder color codes tables and similar constructs:  Tables are blue, Synonyms are green, and Views are orange.

Visual Query Builder with Synonyms.png

Meteor

Hi LisaL,

The Synonyms from my Oracle database isn't showing up in the Tables or Visual Query Builder. I tried to write a simple SQL query too but that didn't work either. 

Please let me know what alternatives/ work around option would be. Thanks in advance.

Labels