Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Optional Input for App

ckestler
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I am trying to create an App which queries from a database, and takes multiple inputs using the Text Box and Action tools. But, I don't always want the query using all of the action tools..I want some of them to be optional. 

For example, I would like to possibly only enter the Div ID (see attached), leave the other fields blank, and have the query just execute on div id. Is this possible?

3 REPLIES 3
nick_schimweg
8 - Asteroid

In a macro (should work for your app) you could use a nested if statement and a single action tool utilizing the 'update value with fomula' function. You would have the action update the SQL statement.

Something like:

IF [Div ID] > '' AND [Model Request ID] > '' AND [Model ID] > '' AND [Selection Request ID] > '' AND [Campaign ID] > '' THEN " 'Div ID = '[Div ID] +' AND '+ 'Model Request ID = '+[Model Request ID]+' AND 'Model ID = '+[Model ID]+' AND '+'Selection Request ID = '+[Selection Request ID]+' AND '+'Campaign ID = '+[Campaign ID]" ELSE

IF 

ISEMPTY([Div ID]) AND [Model Request ID] > '' AND [Model ID] > '' AND [Selection Request ID] > '' AND [Campaign ID] > '' THEN "'Model Request ID = '+[Model Request ID]+' AND 'Model ID = '+[Model ID]+' AND '+'Selection Request ID = '+[Selection Request ID]+' AND '+'Campaign ID = '+[Campaign ID]" ELSE

etc..

One if statement for every possible selection.

Hopefully someone will chime in with a cleaner way to do it.

KaneG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @ckestler,

You can nest the interface tools under a checkbox or radio button as such:

Image 001 - 20161101 - 131139.png

Tick the option on the Checkbox/Radio Button for 'Collapse Group when Deselected' and use the up/Down arrows in the interface designer to nest the options inside the selectable options.

Kane

David-Carnes
12 - Quasar

OK, a little late to the party.  Was Googling for a different problem and this  appeared in  the results.  Anyway...,

A good technique is to create your base SQL statement and have a where 1= 1 clause.  After that, just append as many "and this = that" clauses that your users choose.    Example:

Base_SQL  = "select greeting1, greeting2 from salutations where 1 = 1"

Then you can append  "and greeting1 = 'hello'" and/or  "and greeting2 = 'world'" depending on if your user filled in either one or both.

I know in the Dynamic Input tool you can replace the whole SQL statement, so build up your SQL  with the  additions to the where clause and run with it.

Labels