Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Optimization of output in Alteryx (excel solver equivalent)

rho
6 - Meteoroid

Hello!

I'm running a set of simulations within a workflow, these take a set of structures as input and I'm looking to maximise the output. 

rho_0-1604147798174.png

I've created some scenarios manually (seen in the right join data sample above) and done a cartesian join to do each calculation to apply on my simulation. The output looks like this:

rho_1-1604148009388.png

My objective is to maximise the return field in the output and I'm looking for a tool that keeps trying different combinations of inputs (i.e. increasing/decreasing limits, percentages and so on on multiple variables) till it reaches a maxima. These will need to be subject to some form of constraints so I can allow for realistic scenarios only.

I see the optimisation tool within prescriptive analytics is meant to do something similar but it seems like you need to define your constraints and functions within the tool itself. For me this isn't possible given the container 98 above includes some calculations I can't embed easily, any alternatives similar to excel solver that may work in this situation?

Thanks, R

1 REPLY 1
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

The optimization tool is going to be similar to an "Excel Solver" in that you optimize for a value and have constraints entered. Weekly Challenge #213 goes through a fairly straightforward example if you want to see how it is done in practice https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Weekly-Challenge/Challenge-213-Optimized-Flower-Arrangements/td-p/5...

We also have a Tool Mastery article for the Optimization tool which is very thorough regarding configurations: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Tool-Mastery-Optimization/ta-p/3061...

It sounds like the calculations in container 98 may be complex, so it could be a matter of just getting the data formatted into a structure that plays nicely with the constraints you can establish in the Optimization tool. 

Labels