Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Optimization Equal Sum Between Groups

fitzgerald2022
7 - Meteor

We have various customer accounts that are broken up by which state they are in and I have 3 employees that have to work all the accounts. How do I get the sum of the accounts as close to equal to each other without breaking up the states and across the 3 employees?

I tried using the equal sum Tile tool but it doesn't give me a very accurate output.

I also tried to use the optimization tool but I could configure it to what I need.

State# of Accounts
AR2

AZ

CA28
CO30
CT1
FL18
GA1
IA16
KS2

5 REPLIES 5
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

The Tile tool can produce a simple version all by itself. Set the tile method to "Equal Sum", number of tiles to 3, and sum field to "# of Accounts". Sorting the records will change the outcome. 

EDIT: I missed your comment on the Tile tool. You're already past that. 

The best distribution of the sample data appears to be 40-44-36. My initial thoughts go towards creating and testing different combinations until the best scenario is selected, but there are n! ways to order n objects (9! is 362,880).

I'll have to think about the best way to achieve this, but using the R tool to utilize an R package will likely be the most simple route to take. Here's a Stack Overflow link that discusses this problem using R:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6104836/splitting-a-continuous-variable-into-equal-sized-groups

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

This is a very tricky problem to solve.

2018-10-18_10-03-05.png

In your small case a brute force approach will work:

2018-10-18_10-03-47.png

This won't scale to either large numbers of salespeople or a large number of states. 

For that, a greedy allocation is the best approach I can come up with but I do not know if mathematically this would always produce the correct answer. Happy to build a macro implementing this as needed.

Claje
14 - Magnetar

I happened to do a talk at Inspire 2018 in Anaheim on a very similar problem, so I have an example of an iterative macro that accomplishes this in a way that I think works pretty well, although there may be some differentiation in certain edge cases.  The advantage of this approach is that I believe it should scale more efficiently to large numbers of states or employees.

I've attached a yxzp with an example workflow and the macro here.  I come to the same result as @jdunkerley79 in this example.

fitzgerald2022
7 - Meteor

Worked and scaled perfectly. I just had to change Accounts from Byte to Int because some of my account are over 100. Thank you all for the help!

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Mostly for my interest have attached my 'greedy' approach. It is exactly the same algo as @Claje's

Great job @Claje

Labels