Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Optimal Routing

brad_j_crep
8 - Asteroid

It seems to me I've seen this before but I can remember where.  I'm looking for a way to put in multiple address and determine the optimal route to hit them all.  Does anyone know if this app exists in the gallery or is in a blog somewhere?

Thanks!

Brad

23 REPLIES 23
BridgetT
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @brad_j_crep,

It sounds like you're talking about the Traveling Salesman Problem. This is a pretty (in)famous problem in math/computer science, and there's not a convenient exact solution (other than brute force, which can be computationally impossible in large enough scenarios). I can check around for you on the gallery for a solution if you want, but I'm not familiar with any off the top of my head.

Best,

Bridget

Bridget Toomey

Research Scientist, Analytic Products

Alteryx
brad_j_crep
8 - Asteroid

Thanks Bridget, if you have some free time I'd appreciate the help otherwise the link might be of help if I have time to wrk on this in the future. It was one of those last minute, get it done right now requests. Thanks again for the heads up.

Bradley Crep

BridgetT
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi Brad,

Unfortunately no one on my team knows of any existing tools or macros that will solve this problem. However, the Advanced Analytics team is currently working on an optimization suite which will be entering the beta phase soon. Would you be interested in being a beta customer? There may be an optimal routing macro implemented using it.

Best,

Bridget

Bridget Toomey

Alteryx
brad_j_crep
8 - Asteroid

Yes I would. Thank you for the offer.

Bradley Crep

BridgetT
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

You're welcome! You've been added to the list and should hear from the Advanced Analytics team soon.

Bridget Toomey

Alteryx
brad_j_crep
8 - Asteroid

I saw this in a search for a solution to the optimization issue from an open source site.

http://gebweb.net/optimap/

Bradley Crep

BridgetT
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Oh, nice! I don't know how fast that source is, since I tried it with 6 addresses 12 minutes ago, and it's still running. But maybe it's good enough with a smaller number of addresses. Knowing how smart the AA team is, though, I'm pretty sure that a route optimization macro made with their optimization suite will be much faster. :)

Bridget Toomey

Alteryx
JonA
Alteryx
Alteryx

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to 'STAR' this post by Ben Gomez. As @BridgetT mentioned, our team is reviewing it. More votes could sway a decision for a future release!

http://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Product-Ideas/Best-Route-functionality-with-drive-time/idi-p...

Atabarezz
13 - Pulsar

I would too like to be a beta tester for optimisation package if possible...

Labels