Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Opinion: What is the best way to notify a user that not all fields were joined in a Join?

DaisyJones
8 - Asteroid

Hi all,

I have two datasets in which I use a Join tool to match them by an ID number. I would hope that most of the time it would be a complete join, but if there was a case in which some of the IDs do not match, what would be the best way in which I could build something like a notification to the user so they know that not all fields were joined? If we were to build a scenario, this could be someone who is not familiar with Alteryx beyond running the workflow, but will need to know if there were fields that have not joined. 

If you were presented with this requirement, what would you do? Use error tools or go for reporting?

Thank you,

Daisy

2 REPLIES 2
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@DaisyJones The no matching records will be available in the L and R anchor of the join tool, you can add a count record tool and check the count of the no matching records and if the count greater than 0 use a the email tool to notify the end user. 

EKBS83
7 - Meteor

Personally would go for email as there's no effort from the user; I would output the L / R anchors as tables, and create an email template with the layout tool.

Attached quick example - can add anything else required to the email layout, eg, signature etc to make it look a bit sharper.

If a daily scheduled report, you can also then create a quick formula so that the subject of the email is date stamped

Labels