Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Only show me rows with a blank field

BigDataGeek
8 - Asteroid

I'm looking to move a process out of excel if this would be more easily done in alteryx.

Each month we double check our data integrity for errors and blank fields.  I'm connecting to a sharepoint list and limiting the columns I look at.  From there, how could I spit out a report that only includes rows of data if they have any blank fields for the columns I selected?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
KaneG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @BigDataGeek,

You can do this with a Filter tool, 

IsNull([Field1]) ||

IsNull([Field2]) ||

IsNull([Field3]).... etc

If you have a hundred fields to check, then you can build the formula using a fieldInfo > formula > summarize workflow.

Kane

BigDataGeek
8 - Asteroid

I have quite a few, but not sure what you mean by building it using fieldinfo...  I'm using 10.6.8 version of Alteryx.

KaneG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Take a look at the attached.

Basically, select the fields to include > FieldInfo > Formula to wrap it in IsNull() > Summarize to concatenate > Manually copy the formula to the filter and tidy up.

Building_formulas.png

BigDataGeek
8 - Asteroid

Seeing the workflow made it much easier to understand and learn.  

I've got it all set up, but was generating an error in the filter that said 'Error: Filter (17): Parse Error at char(7).

I modified the formula expression to 'IsNull([' + [Name] + ']) ||' and it seems to be working well.

Thanks for the help!

Labels