Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Only select first 3 sets of data based off a unique identifier

walsh3hm
5 - Atom

Hi there,

I am fairly new to Alteryx. I am trying to build a workflow that includes Tax ID's from a set of payment data and I can only upload 3 of the same Tax ID when running through the IRS. Many of the payments have more than one name under the same Tax ID, but as I mentioned I only want the first 3 of that Tax to be pulled from the data.

2 REPLIES 2
DataNath
17 - Castor

Not sure if I'm understanding the question correctly, but would the sample tool do the trick? Have built & attached a mock workflow below.

Select First N rows

N = 3

Group by Tax ID

Edit: If you want them to be unique then you could place a Unique tool before the sample and select by Tax ID and Name.

DataNath_0-1651090625458.png

DanM
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@walsh3hm The best tool to accomplish what you are describing is the sample tool https://alteryxhelp.prod.acquia-sites.com/20214/designer/sample-tool.

You can select the first 3 data points and then select the field with your tax ID in the group area at the bottom of the tool. This will result in the first three rows of data per tax ID. I would highly suggest going through the Academy courses for beginners. The learning paths and interactive lessons will open you up to a whole new world.

Good luck

Labels