Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

One Text Box Tool Multiple Filters

paddis
6 - Meteoroid

One Text Box multiple Filters in an AppOne Text Box multiple Filters in an AppBrowse Tool hooked up to the Visual Layout tool in the WorkflowBrowse Tool hooked up to the Visual Layout tool in the WorkflowExcel output from the AppExcel output from the App

I would like to use one single text box tool to update multiple filters in my app. My query is looking for data from a few different inputs but they have one element in common, a Ticket Number. I would like to have the user enter a Ticket Number in the Text Box Tool and have that value update all the Filters (see photo). When I hard code a ticket number value in the multiple inputs (SQL queries) in a workflow it works well and I get a nice result in the Visual Layout tool (see photo). However, when I try to set it up like in the photo as an app I don't see anything when hooking up a Browse tool to the Layout Tool and the output in Excel looks strange (see photo).

10 REPLIES 10
ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @paddis !

Would it be possible to upload your app so we can help you troubleshoot it? I can't see the output tools or render in the picture.

jarrod
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

You'll have to setup the Action so that it's replacing a value (probably easiest for this case) or by a formula (more stable long term if you change the values in the workflow).

heres a screenshot of the update by value - notice you have to go into the operands if you are using a simple configuration. Otherwise, you'll be overwriting the entire formula if you update "Expression".

image.png

paddis
6 - Meteoroid

Here is what it looks like. I think it is Limit.JPGdoing that already.

paddis
6 - Meteoroid

I'm trying to download the app, but I don't see a way to do it. I'm getting the attached error when I try and attach it.App.JPG

jarrod
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
You can try renaming the extension as yxmd and when we download it, we can change it back to yxwz.
paddis
6 - Meteoroid

here it is as yxmd

jarrod
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Got it. When selecting what to update in the action, you have to specifically select the value you want to update so it's highlighted in Blue:

See the below image for an example. When you select the full line, you can deselect the "replace a specific string" check box at the bottom.

image.png

Edit: I just wanted to add that you can actually use this same type of action to directly update the SQL query, which will save time by filtering at the source instead of trying to pull all the records through then filtering. 

paddis
6 - Meteoroid

OK. I did that, but my output is still looking funky. Perhaps it's more a problem with the output than the filters. Also, I'd love to dynamically filter in the query, so I'll try that as well. I think I'll set up a simpler app to determine where the problem lies. I'd love to output as pdf, but that's not an option. Perhaps my layout doesn't translate well into Excel.

paddis
6 - Meteoroid

I created a simpler app that allowed me to use multiple dynamic text boxes on the filters and it worked. Perhaps my original problem was simply that I was trying to output something in .xslx format that doesn't fit in that format. I'll mark this as solved and look for the output solution elsewhere. Thanks for everyone's help.

Labels