Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Observe row values inbetween duplicate values

Hi All,

I've run into this problem before and still can't solve it unfortunately, your help would be much appreciated: 

I'm attempting to teach myself to scrape the web, but have come across this puzzle also when making General ledger mappings: 

I have scraped some function titles from the web of high school teachers, some teach more courses than others and such the length of the function title differs per teacher. (f.i: Docent Mentor Nederlands (3titles) and Docent Duits (2titles)

I'm trying to assign the same Record ID number to all titles following the word "Docent"  untill it finds the next word "Docent". 

So it would sort of look like this:

Docent   1
Duits      1
Docent   2
Mentor   2
economie  2
Docent  3
Mentor  3
technologie 3
nask1   3
nask2   3
Docent 4
Mentor 4
Nederlands 4

I'm trying this with a multi-row tool but run into the difficulty of lengths inbetween the observations, any suggestions? 

Please observe my workflow in the attachment 

Thanks a lot! 

2 REPLIES 2
WilliamR
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hello,

try this (assuming the new field name in the multi-row formula is "Value":

if [Function] = "Docent" then [Row-1:Value] +1 else [Row-1:Value] endif

Capture.JPG

Cheers.

That's asolutely fantastic! 
So cool that you can draft a formula that will make and configure using the new column! Thanks a lot

Labels