Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

OR condition not working in Filter tool

TarunDeep
8 - Asteroid

How does OR works in Alteryx. Does it take both the conditions in consideration or if one is satisfied then other condition will be skipped?

I am using below condition in filter tool and it is giving only result for the first condition. I am comparing month with month:

([Date New] = DateTimeParse('01/'+ ToString( DateTimeMonth(datetimeadd(datetimetoday(),IF DateTimeDay(DateTimeToday())>=1 AND DateTimeDay(DateTimeToday())<=10 THEN -2 ELSE -1 ENDIF,"months")))+'/'+ToString(DateTimeYear(DateTimeToday())),'%d-%m-%Y'))
OR
([Date New] = DateTimeAdd(
DateTimeParse('01/'+ ToString( DateTimeMonth(datetimeadd(datetimetoday(),IF DateTimeDay(DateTimeToday())>=1 AND DateTimeDay(DateTimeToday())<=10 THEN -2 ELSE -1 ENDIF,"months")))+'/'+ToString(DateTimeYear(DateTimeToday())),'%d-%m-%Y'),-1,"months"))

The months are in format below:

2017-10-01
2017-11-01
2018-09-01
2018-02-01
2018-03-01
2018-09-01
2018-10-01

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

OR are evaluated lazily - i.e. if the first condition is true second is not evaluated.

Looking through your expression I think the issue is that Alteryx is comparing dates with datetimes. These differ due to the trailing 00:00:00.

One option is to adjust your expression to remove the trailing time:

([Date New] = Left(DateTimeAdd(Left(DateTimeToday(),8)+"01",IIF(DateTimeDay(DateTimeToday())<=10,-2,-1),"months"), 10))
OR ([Date New] = Left(DateTimeAdd(Left(DateTimeToday(),8)+"01",IIF(DateTimeDay(DateTimeToday())<=10,-3,-2),"months"),10))

Alternatively, a select tool in front of the filter to convert to DateTime will also work

Sample workflow attached

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

dupe

TarunDeep
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @jdunkerley79 . Your formula worked. I tried changing the date format but it didn't work (I might have missed the format somewhere). Also I noticed that once I add Date-add function in formula, the filter stopped working. This might again be the formatting issue.

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
Yep datetimeadd always returns a datetimeadd in yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss format.
Labels