Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

OPTION TO LEAVE TEXT BOX BLANK IN ANALYTIC APP

bb213
8 - Asteroid

This is an app I made that filters a set of job announcements. 

How do I leave the text box blank in an analytic app so that it still returns the correct values? In other words, if I leave the text box blank, I want it to act as if that particular filter isn't being applied.

For example, if I put "python" in the first box, and nothing in the second, it should return 3 records. 

5 REPLIES 5
Claje
14 - Magnetar

Hi,

Your workflow was very close.  I updated your two Action Tools that were connected to Text Input tools to use the option "Update Value with Formula".

The template I used for this formula was as follows:

IF ISEMPTY([#1]) THEN '1=1' ELSE REPLACE([Destination],'KEYWORD',[#1]) ENDIF

[#1] Is the input from your text box, and [Destination] is the tool that Action is updating.

So this says - if the text box is empty, replace the filter with 1=1, which is always true.  Otherwise, replace the keyword (ALTERYX or WASHINGTON in your example) with the result of the text input.

Hope this helps!

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Update Action(62) to "Update Value with Formula" and use this formula:

IF isempty([#1]) THEN '1'
ELSE 'contains([Description],"'+[#1]+'")'
ENDIF

So if the text input is empty, all records will pass. Otherwise the contains function will be applied.

bb213
8 - Asteroid

Thanks to you both.  Both solutions worked. Is there a methodology for who I should choose as best answer?  Is it just the first correct?

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I'm glad you got the help you were looking for. If multiple solutions of like quality are offered, then the first posted is typically awarded the solution. I think multiple solutions could also be awarded. I would make sure @Claje gets a solution for this.

Claje
14 - Magnetar

You can actually mark multiple posts as a solution, so if you found each of our posts helpful, feel free to mark them both as a solution!

Labels