Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

ODBC connect string as Workflow Constant

PeterGoldey
11 - Bolide

Hi!

I've been trying to use workflow constants as a way to switch Postgres and MySQL connection strings for all input tools in a workflow.  

Does anyone have a better method or suggestions for improving this?

Have run into a couple of issues:

1. it doesn't seem reliable (can't get it to work with some connections, though that could be me)

2. where it does work, you can't then edit or change the table or SQL select in the standard input dialog

I had seen these two posts which gave me the starting point:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Dynamically-change-ODBC-connection-str... solved by @MarqueeCrew 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Use-connection-string-in-a-expression/... solved by @LukeM 

Here's what i did:

1. add the workflow constant

ODBCconstant1.PNG

2. I then added the input tool and used the workflow constant %User.ODBC_string% as the connect string.  This failed as there was no table specified.  So i instead used a full normal connection string, let it validate, and then replaced the connection string with the workflow constant.  That worked.

ODBCconstant2.PNG

3. but I cannot then go and edit anything about the connection such as the "table or query" value.  This makes it quite cumbersome to go and set this up or to modify anything about the data later.  If you try (by clicking the ellipses in row 3 of the config, you get this:

ODBCconstant3.PNG

Thanks!

Pete 

2 REPLIES 2
HenrietteH
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @PeterGoldey 

I know this is a couple extra clicks, but the Workflow Dependencies let you toggle connections and then don't affect any other options in the input tool. 

Go to Options > Advanced Options > Workflow Dependencies:

2019-11-12_17-12-19.png

You can edit multiple tools this way as well. 

Henriette Haigh
Technical Product Manager - Data Connectors
Alteryx, Inc.

PeterGoldey
11 - Bolide

Thank you!

Works perfectly when the schema / db within the connection is also the same (or there's only one available).

Really appreciate your help on this.

Labels