Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Numeric Data Types

grsomer
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

When I bring my Excel spreadsheet into Alteryx, Alteryx reads some of my numeric data fields as V_String data. When I use a select tool to manually change my fields to Double, I loose some of the precision of my number. Specifically, if my number was 530,000, when I change it to Double it becomes 530. Obviously, this means that my data is now incorrect. Is there a way to keep the precision of my number while changing it to a numeric data type? Should I be using a data type other than Double?

Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
rmferreirajr
5 - Atom

Hi grsomer,

Do you know if those columns also have some text data? I suggest you to apply a Data Cleanse tool after your input, removing letters and whitespaces and, only after doing it, try to convert your data to the  double format.

Regards,

Ricardo Ferreira

Dynamomo
11 - Bolide

Looks to me like your numbers are coming in as strings with commas in them.  when you change a string to a number, the number is read in up until you get to a non-numeric character (the comma) so that's why it was truncated at that spot.

I'd use a formula tool to replace the comma with nothing ("") which would remove the comma, then convert the field.

Labels