Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Number of Characters in a text field of a CSV file exceeds Alteryx max

petgrap
8 - Asteroid

I have a string field that contains data (concatenated codes) that is separated by semicolon which I need to separate into individual cells. I adjusted the field length of the input tool to a very large number. The data is still being truncated. The max input that is being read is 1024. 

Does anyone know a way to have Alteryx input all the data without truncating it or breaking the field apart by the semicolon into smaller readable files that it will read all the characters in the field.

I have been trying to use the blob tools but no success.

4 REPLIES 4
patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

@petgrap

From your description of the data, it seems like this should work:

Change the delimiter (option 5 on the Input Tool) to a semi-colon and just keep hitting 9 in the field length until it works.

petgrap
8 - Asteroid

Change the delimiter (option 5 on the Input Tool) to a semi-colon give a parse error.

GavinAttard
11 - Bolide

can you provide an example of the source? Previous solution should work, so likely to be something specific with your source data

Alteryx Everything, Leave no one behind.
petgrap
8 - Asteroid

Following on the suggestion my source data was the issue, I had to use Notepad++ to open the file and see contents (Will not open in Excel without size errors).  The problem is with the data.  The data (provided by IT) was already truncated. Thank you everyone as I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how why the data was truncated. This was my first post on the community!!!  Once I get a file without truncated data, I will try the suggestion again. 

Thank you for responding and the suggestions!!! 

Labels