Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Null field question

alexlyle
8 - Asteroid

Using the attached flow, i want to create a file where you have row headers on the top, a total on the next row, and then actual data. It needs to look like this however I need to eliminate the highlighted empty cells and keep everything else.

alexlyle_0-1610395729819.png

6 REPLIES 6
Amarendra
10 - Fireball

@alexlyleI looked at your workflow, does the Data Cleansing tool help with what you are looking for? Are you trying to replace those nulls values in the file with blanks?

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi,

use the filter tool in order to exclude all rows for which file name is equal to total.

alexlyle
8 - Asteroid

This is to be used to create a file that will be uploaded into a system. The system requires it to be in the order I showed. However, those blank fields on the row with the total are messing it up. My goal is to eliminate them so you have 2 cells on that row for Total and the count

pedrodrfaria
13 - Pulsar

Hi @alexlyle 

By adding the data cleansing you can replace the null values for blank spaces (string fields) and for 0s (numeric value).

If you use the filter, you will filter out the total row.

We can replace these null values with something, but if you are just trying to "eliminate" these fields, either way they will exist if you keep the same structure as alteryx has to populate the rows with either blanks or null values.

Pedro.

Data Cleansing example:

pedrodrfaria_0-1610399308790.png

Amarendra
10 - Fireball

If you need to the totals file to be joined with you other file then I don't think you can get rid of the null values or the empty cells since Alteryx will retain them. Does replacing them with a 0 just to retain the file format work? You can handle the the '0' on your downstream or the DB you are writing back to

alexlyle
8 - Asteroid

The more I think about it, the following concept might work: 1 have a flow with the field names only. 2. have a flow with the Total and count only 3. have a flow with all of the data. Output each flow in that order to the same file. How can I do that with a single flow so that the order of the outputs is set?

Labels