Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Not working - Decimal Sum 10s

JDong
8 - Asteroid

Hi Team,

I have the following data sample in my column 

Value

I want to add all these and create a subtotal. I have attached a sample flow in this email where the sample works fine.

Gallop_0-1618584252239.png

I am applying this in my real world scenario and it does not work as expected. 

Instead the summation values are shown rounded off to nearest number or as 0

On trying to debug I am not able to figure out why this is happening since both seems to be using same logic. Any idea to identify the root cause ? End result should be the subtotal as attached.

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

One quick thing:

Do you have "change output type" to "double" selected in your multi-field formula? your formula is correct and it should be flagging errors - but sometimes I forget to actually click on "change output type" as well.

JDong
8 - Asteroid

@apathetichell 

Thanks. Yes I did change it to double but the result shows as 0 and not summing as expected.

One more thing from the tracing

Gallop_0-1618728559955.png

The values are fine until this filter as shown below

Gallop_1-1618728606745.png

In the next select tool I am converting the values to double so I can add the value in the summerize step

Gallop_2-1618728672928.png

and that is where the values become like below.

Gallop_3-1618728716082.png

If I convert field to FixedDecimal all values become like below

Gallop_0-1618728896134.png

Seems trivial but not able to get over this issue.

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @JDong 

The top Select tool is having problems with the commas in your numbers.  Copy the Multi Field tool that you have before the bottom Summarization and paste it before the top Summarization tool.  Make sure all the affected fields are selected in the multi field.  Then remove top Select tool

Dan

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Also - when you convert to fixed decimal/fixed width using a select and you don't provide enough digits in your fixed width conversion for your number you get a nul(). use Double/not fixed width - unless you are 100% sure you are accounting for all of the digits.

JDong
8 - Asteroid

And that worked 😀

Gallop_0-1618767680267.png

Gallop_0-1618773485641.png

Had I known that only the red step had to be replaced with multirow 😂

Thanks and it is pulling the values fine now...phew was a difficult one to spot for me....much appreciate your help @danilang @apathetichell 

Labels