Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Non overlap Trade area

Mariam2
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

I am have some locations (latitude and longtitude and drivetime). I am trying to find the non-overlap trade areas for each location. I have tried to use a workflow that I saw in the community discussion but I am not sure it worked. Can you please look at my file?

9 REPLIES 9
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @Mariam2 

You were very close with your initial workflow.  The changes necessary

1. Change the criteria in your filter to [RecordID]!=[Universe_RecordID] to remove all self matches but this leaves the matched pairs, i.e. row with original id  7 and universe id 9 and row with the inverse  9,7.  

2. Change the spatial process to Cut 2nd from 1st.  This takes out the overlap from id 7 on row 7, 9 and the overlap from 9 on row 9, 7

3. Remove the summary tool since its no longer required.

After the join and union you end up with the 9 original records.  The non-overlap parts of 7 and 9 look like this

7 and 9.png

Note that I didn't have access to a drive time dataset, so I had to use distance in the trade area tool which accounts for the nice round trade areas in my image

Dan

Mariam2
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Danilang,

Sorry to respond now. Thank you for taking the time to help me. I was out of the office when you sent me your workflow. I do have a question. You did the workflow assuming that the trade areas were determined by radius. However, in my case,they are determined by drivetime. There is one column called Trade area Drivetime. Somehow when I changed it to drivetime, I end up with 31 trade areas instead of 9. See attached.

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @Mariam2 

Like I mentioned in my post, I don't have access to a drive time dataset and that's why I used distance instead.  From what I've seen before though, drive time trade areas can extend quite a ways along major arteries, looking like flattened jellyfish instead of neat circles.  It's probably these long thin tendrils that are overlapping.   2 trade areas that don't overlap when viewed by distance can overlap by drive time if they're connected by a road.  Another possibility is that you can have 2 trade areas on a rectangular grid of roads.  The tendrils can extend along the roads and produce multiple overlaps.   Zoom in on the results in the map and look to see if this is the case.

Another thing: Can you add an Output tool after the trade area tool and write the results to an alteryx .yxdb database file.  Export your workflow from the Options->Export Workflow menu and post the results.  That way I'll be able to look at the trade areas once they are created.

Dan

Mariam2
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Danilang,

Please find attached the output.

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @Mariam2 

This is the final output.  Can you provide the output immediately after the Trade Area tool. Specifically, I'd like to see the trade areas created and  if there are multiple trade area records created for each initial location.   

Thanks

Dan 

Mariam2
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Danilang.

Please find attached.

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @Mariam2 

I see where the issue is now.  Your data has several trade areas that mutually overlap.  i.e. the Dallas area has 5 trade areas with multiple overlaps.  My initial work flow didn't take this into account.  The attached one has an additional Summarize that groups the non overlaps by trade area and creates the intersection of these, giving you only the areas that don't over lap with any of these.  

Here's the output for Dallas-FW showing the the entire entire core of Dallas is excluded because it is covered by multiple trade areas.

mulltiple.png

Note: In order to debug what was going on, I connected your Output after TA db directly to spatial Info tool.  If you copy the new summarize and select tools in the container to your workflow, you should be good to go.  Alternately, you can use the attached v3, change the trade area settings to match yours and connect it to the spatial info tool  

Dan

Mariam2
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you so much @danilang! I truly appreciate your help. Have a great day!

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

You're very welcome @Mariam2. It was an interesting debugging experience especially since I didn't have access to the drive time data set.

If you don't mind, would you consider marking this post as solved.  I like adding to my total, but it also helps the search engine deliver more helpful results.

Dan 

Labels