Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Non English characters messed up when imported via Directory tool

snigdha25
7 - Meteor

I have 7 csv files that I am importing in Alteryx using Directory tool , some files have CJK  (Chinese , Japanese , Korean) data within them. These characters when exported to an excel file as Output are messed up and are replaced by question marks like - "???". How can we avoid messing these characters up ? 

11 REPLIES 11
Kakuffo
Alteryx
Alteryx

@snigdha25 

Have you tried selecting the unicode uption for the document coding option 11.

Kakuffo_0-1627467829888.png

snigdha25
7 - Meteor

Hi @Kakuffo - I am using Directory tool so this option is not available as in Input data tool.

Kakuffo
Alteryx
Alteryx

Ok can you provide a screenshot? Or kindly explain exactly where the characters are being converted

In your explanation you mention the characters being converted to "???" on export to excel.

snigdha25
7 - Meteor

Not sure where exactly is it getting converted because it is a directory tool so I can only see file names and not the data within them while processing. As per example a file within folder imported contains -

安妥(北京)旅游文化发展有限公司(Antuo and Culture )
青岛信舆数识科技有限公司 (QinginYu)

and gets converted to this-

?????????????????Antuo and Culture ?
???????????? (QinginYu)
Kakuffo
Alteryx
Alteryx

Thank you for providing an example, strange as i have tried to replicate this on my machine and the directory tool is able to feed through the chinese characters just fine.

Kakuffo_0-1627469540271.png

Which version of Designer are you using at this time?

perhaps take a look at your user settings localization tab, here you can adjust the coding also

Kakuffo_1-1627469612397.png

snigdha25
7 - Meteor

@Kakuffo -All the setting are similar to what you posted in screenshot. Can you try importing the csv files attached using directory tool and output them in excel to see if it works at your end. The file 2 has Chinese data

Kakuffo
Alteryx
Alteryx

What method are you using to import the files after the directory tool?  from what i can see both files have differeing schema so a basic wildcard or dynamic input would not work in this instance. Are you using a bacth macro to import thr files in one go?

I have used a more manual and visual process here to try and match the field and combine the data using union tool, my outputs work fine in Excel.

Perhaps i have missed something in your process that is causing the error.

I have attached my output and workflow to the message

snigdha25
7 - Meteor

@Kakuffo - Yes, I have used batch macro as the schemas are different not sure if that is causing an issue.
Your workflow works perfectly in case of INPUT TOOL but as I mentioned I want to achieve it using DIRECTORY TOOL. I have 200 such kind of files and doing this using INPUT TOOL is not feasible.

Kakuffo
Alteryx
Alteryx

Are you able to send the macro across? so i can troubleshoot that

Labels