Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

No fields available in Select/Filter Tool, but Browse shows proper data with 8 columns

DamianPiatkowski
5 - Atom

Hi everyone,

For the past few days I have been trying to figure out why neither Select tool nor any other that lets you select a column detects any of them. The data comes from a Python script that sends a dataframe to Alteryx.

As you can see in the screenshot, Select tool does get the data (8 fields and 797 records).

I have tried these many times already:

- reload the workflow, run it again and again after resetting Alteryx

- copy and paste to a new workflow

DamianPiatkowski_0-1623313756044.png

Filter says 'no results found' but again, I see all the data with 8 columns when clicking on input of Filter Tool.

DamianPiatkowski_1-1623314753787.png

Any ideas?

4 REPLIES 4
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @DamianPiatkowski ,

when you click the "Select Column" in your filter tool do you see the fields? You need to select a field and apply the filter logic before you can run it.

mceleavey_0-1623315208461.png

M

Bulien

DamianPiatkowski
5 - Atom

Hi, 

No, I don't see any options, it says "no results found". Same with every other tool that has that dropdown (e.g. Text to Columns).

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @DamianPiatkowski 

Check to see if you have Disable Auto Configure checked in User Settings->Advanced.  This stops the metadata from being refreshed when making changes to a workflow and might account for your issue.  It should be unchecked as shown below

danilang_0-1623323852319.png

If this doesn't solve the problem and the macro always outputs the same fields, you can work around it by adding a Text Input tool with only the field names followed by a Select tool to set the field types.  Add a union after your macro and connect the output of the Selecttool to the input of the union.  The metadata from the Text Input box tool is saved with the workflow and it will always propagate downstream

Dan

DamianPiatkowski
5 - Atom

Thanks Dan, the workaround works. 

I guess why the issue still occurs even with that option unchecked will remain a mystery 🙂

Labels