Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Newest File Input from Folder - Dynamic Input

jason_clough14
7 - Meteor

I'm having trouble pulling in the newest file from a shared network folder. I have gotten the directory and sort tool to work, but it seems like the sample is not pulling only the newest file... I also need help with the next steps for the dynamic input to pull that file from the sample function

10 REPLIES 10
Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @jason_clough14 

Is the problem here that you want to be sorting on the LastWriteTime field instead of the CreationTime field?

jason_clough14
7 - Meteor

The sort is working correctly, but then I wanted to sample only the top file because it will be the most recently created. Following the sampling, I would like to be able to create a workflow off that data.

jason_clough14
7 - Meteor

Hi,

Thanks that is helpful for the dynamic input tool... can you help with the sample portion? The workflow is basically using a directory to read a folder of 30 files throughout a month, then sorting those files by created date... I want the sample tool to select on the top (newest) file. Any ideas?

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

@jason_clough14  When I download your workflow and run it, it seems to be working as expected (see below image). When using your sample tool and selecting "First N rows" and putting 1 in the text box for N, you are still getting more than one record? Are you possibly grouping by a column?

Capture.PNG

jason_clough14
7 - Meteor

I have not grouped by a column, should I be? This is my main issue I only want the one record

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

@jason_clough14 No, I don't see a reason to group by any fields, I just wanted to ensure that wasn't causing our issue. How many records are coming through still after your sample tool?

jason_clough14
7 - Meteor

I believe I've found a solution using the Record ID tool, then filtering to record ID 1... this should achieve the same result?

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

@jason_clough14 Yes, that is definitely one work around! I'm still puzzled as to why the sample tool wasn't working, though.

Labels