Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Newbie question: How to capture values that aren't recognized as dates?

jlefeaux
8 - Asteroid

I am importing data from an Excel file.  Two of the fields are supposed to contain dates, but because the values are entered by hand sometimes they aren't entered in a way that is recognizable by Alteryx as a date.  For example, "11/8/`6" is entered instead of "11/8/16".

Less than 1% of the records have this kind of error, so what I'd like to do is have Alteryx read the other 99% directly (say with a Select tool), while diverting the ones that can't be read to a separate workstream so that I can do the string parsing, etc., that is necessary to clean them.

I'm new to Alteryx and can't figure out how to capture those records that would generate a conversion error.  Basically looking implement a Boolean check akin to an IsDate function (since that doesn't exist).

Thanks in advance!

Jennifer L.

2 REPLIES 2
Philip
12 - Quasar

Here's one way by using a Filter tool. Basically, try converting the dates. If the date doesn't convert, a NULL is produced. Filter based on finding NULLs and do what you want with them.

jlefeaux
8 - Asteroid

Ah!  Very clever!

Thank you for getting me over this hurdle.  Really appreciate the help :)

Labels