Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

New ways to do workpapers, replacements for index-match

dogregory
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I'm hoping to start getting some ideas to replace the yearly update of traditional workpapers (tax workpapers in this instance) with Alteryx workflows so that I can start making adjustments off season to the workpapers and then speed up their creation.

The way we (and most people) do workpapers now is we have a couple of base reports that are laid out with columns representing entities identified by EIN. Other reports might include applicable ratios for the income, or possible adjustments based on line items. These reports relevant information get combined into a summary sheet that we use to test against the actual tax returns. 

Most of the formulas that go into these workpapers are Index-Match. Sometimes Index-Match-Match if the report has changed or isn't standardized. This functionality is directly present in Alteryx, but there must be a way of replicating it for use in a workpaper. We usually start with one index-match and then apply other index-matches to modify from there. It won't make sense if the only way to do index-match in Alteryx is the 10 step long workflows that have been used elsewhere.

Is there another way we can develop a workpaper, or anyone who has tried to do this? My only thought right now would be to use Fuzzy Match to match the account names and then group by EIN using summarize tool. 

Thanks ahead of time.

3 REPLIES 3
smoskowitz
12 - Quasar

Hi @dogregory --

While more on the IT side of the house, I do work in Tax Technology. You can start with an Excel document that has all the relevant information for each EIN. This could be fed into a batch macro with your template which them fills in the relevant information on the relevant lines.

Just a thought.

Seth

dogregory
7 - Meteor

Hi Seth,

Also tax tech. We have such a document. I might try that. Thanks for the suggestion. Now to learn batch macros. 

Thanks,

Doug

smoskowitz
12 - Quasar

@dogregory --

Reach out if you need some assistance. I can show you the basics of it. Be warned though, once you learn it, you will never go back!!!! 🙂

Seth

Labels