Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Network Map

Fco_Garcia
5 - Atom

Hi!

I need to build a network distribution map (example attached). I have an excel file with stores and another for all the distribution centers that serve the stores. The idea is to map all the distribution centers with their corresponding stores in a map. I've tried a couple of things found on the forum but with no luck. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

6 REPLIES 6
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Fco_Garcia 

This is very possible in Alteryx! I have a few questions to start with to make sure we have the data we need:

- Do you have spatial data on the location of each distribution center and store? This could be latitude/longitude values, or spatial objects like centroids or polygons?

- Can you Join your distribution and store lists together?

- Could you share some screenshots of your data so we know what your fields look like?

I'm sure the Community can help you, we just need to know where we begin. 

Fco_Garcia
5 - Atom

Hi Charlie!

To answer your questions:

- I have addresses, but can get the latitude/longitude values from it

- Yes I can join both together - right now the lists are connected by the distribution center(s) that serves that store

* Store list example:

DCCountryCityFull address
DC1COUNTRY 1CITY 1XXX STREET
DC2COUNTRY 1CITY 2YYY STREET

* Distribution center list:

DCDC CountryDC CityDC address lineDC postcode
DC1COUNTRY 1CITY 1 & CITY 2XYX STREET111 111

* Important to consider that store can be served by more than 1 DC

Thanks!

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Fco_Garcia,

To create your map you'd need the longitude and latitude, as you said you can get hold of them i've used some dummy locations! Is this what you're looking to achieve?

image.png

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know! I've attached my workflow for you to download if needed.

Regards,

Jonathan

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Fco_Garcia,

You could also output the map to a PDF for example with the use of report map and render tools:

image.png

Which could generate you a PDF like this (also attached):

image.png

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know! I've attached an updated workflow for you to download if needed.

Regards,

Jonathan

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Fco_Garcia Thanks for that information.

Let's assume that you append the latitude/longitude information to each store and DC record; now we're ready to get started! @Jonathan-Sherman has a great suggest to Join the records together and use the ST_CreateLine( function to draw the connecting line (I did the same thing). 

The next steps I take show you how to create a stylized map of these objects using the Report Map tool (plus a trick on the lines).

- The easiest way to get started with the Report Map tool is to connect multiple inputs, one for each item you would like to display. In this case, I have 3 inputs: Stores, DCs, and the lines between. An important note: all three of these input have a [DC] field which we'll use later.

- Before we start configuring our Report Map tool, here's some useful information: you can't apply thematic colors to a line, only points and polygons. What do we do? convert our lines into polygons by drawing a small buffer around it using the Buffer tool.

- Now everything is going into the Report Map tool like we need. The important settings here are under the "Data" tab, set the "Thematic" field for all your inputs to [DC]. This will give us a common field to color coordinate with.

- When we add each of the 3 spatial objects to our map (DC, Stores, Lines), there is a "Theme" option that we can set to "Unique Value" and "Map". This will map each of the unique DC field values to a unique color. 

20200324-NetworkMap.PNG

Check out the attached example to see an example of all this in action. 

Fco_Garcia
5 - Atom

Thanks for the help!

I've got it working but I've got one problem...when I using the Report Map Function, the lines disappear! I tried playing around with the settings in the Setings/Data/Layers/Legend tabs but can't get it working. Examples attached!

Labels