Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Nested if statement using IsNull(v) for string fields

ChrisB_dup_72
7 - Meteor

I took a lot of data from and prepared in in 6 streams.  I Joined the data on [Building] but not all the steams had all the same buildings so some columns have nulls.  I wanted to create a new column that would take the building name from one of those 6 columns generated by the Join tool .  I tried a couple different conditional If statements but I wasn't successful.    Any help would be appreciated.  

The is a malformed statement at character 194

IF IsNull([Building]) THEN (IF IsNull([Input_#2_Building]) THEN (IF IsNull([Input_#3_Building]) THEN (IF IsNull([Input_#4_Building]) THEN (IF IsNull([Input_#5_Building]) THEN [Input_#6_Building])))) ENDIF

This one didn't work, left nulls

IF IsNull([Building]) THEN [Input_#2_Building] ELSEIF
IsNull([Input_#2_Building]) THEN [Input_#3_Building] ELSEIF
IsNull([Input_#3_Building]) THEN [Input_#4_Building] ELSEIF
IsNull([Input_#4_Building]) THEN [Input_#4_Building] ELSEIF
IsNull([Input_#5_Building]) THEN 0 ELSE 0 ENDIF

thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
AdamR_AYX
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Personally I find the function version of IF (iif) easier in these kind of complex formulas. And I think doing a Not null (!isnull) also makes it easier to write and read.

iif(!isnull([Building])                , [Building],
iif(!isnull([Input_#2_Building]), [Input_#2_Building],
iif(!isnull([Input_#3_Building]), [Input_#3_Building],
iif(!isnull([Input_#4_Building]), [Input_#4_Building],
iif(!isnull([Input_#5_Building]), [Input_#5_Building],
iif(!isnull([Input_#6_Building]), [Input_#6_Building],
""))))))

Adam Riley
https://www.linkedin.com/in/adriley/
ChrisB_dup_72
7 - Meteor

That worked perfectly.  Thanks!  

learner2018
5 - Atom

Please how can i read from file with this format  that attached in php ( more than one separator )

Thank you in advance 

Labels