Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Nested Iterative Macro

sbaker
8 - Asteroid

Is it possible to nest iterative macros to accomplish nested loops?

The first loop returns the starting record for a group of records to be ordered.  The second loop orders all records associated with the starting record.  Once the second loop completes, the first loop provides the next starting record for the next group of records to be ordered.

The Interface Designer for iterative macros appears to provide only global configurations, where only one Iteration Input and one Iteration Output can be selected.

7 REPLIES 7
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @sbaker,

We've nested macros several levels deep - and at each level the interface tool gives the interface for that macro.

I'm not sure I understand your case fully (perhaps worth posting a sample workflow or sample data with required inputs and outputs - that way the community will treat this like a weekly challenge :-)) - but what I'd try is:

1 - Create a standard canvas

2 - create an iterative macro - insert it onto the standard canvas

3 - create another iterative macro- drop it onto the canvas number 2 (your first iterative macro)

Then you edit number 3 and you should see a distinct interface designer for the canvas number 3.

If I've missed your question; or if you have an example to share or can provide the required inputs and outputs as a table, possibly the community can tear into this

Thanks @sbaker

Sean

sbaker
8 - Asteroid

Thank you Sean.  My data set is obscure and probably not a good example for the community.

Your explanation is perfect!

KikiMartin
6 - Meteoroid

Hello Sean,

I've been working on building an iterative macro, nested in another iterative macro.  The nested iterative macro works when building the macro, but falls apart when I put in a workflow.

nested macro capture.PNG

When I put in workflow, I get:  "the Iteration is not present"

Workflow with nested macro capture.PNG

I've been working on this for a couple days, and I don't know what to try next. 

Could you (or others) provide any pointers?

Thank you,

Kiki

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@KikiMartin That specific error has come up for me when I've forgotten to use the interface designer and setup the iterative macro using the interface designer:

Capture.PNG

I assume you've already set this up, but it doesn't hurt to ask :) So if you've already setup the the iteration input and output, then I'm not sure what's going on. 

KikiMartin
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you Patrick,...

But the interface designer won't open!! 

It's opened before. 

I've closed out of everything, restarted, and still the interface designer doesn't open.  I'm flummoxed.

Has anyone encountered this? 

How do I solve it?

Thanks,

Kiki

udhawan
5 - Atom

I have seen this when interface designer won't show. I am not sure what is the reason but found the work around. You can go to Options-->User Settings and click on "Restore Defaults" and this will bring back your interface designer.

mhaala
5 - Atom

Came across this issue as well...its because your workflow is not configured to be iterative.

1. click within your canvas for the macro.

2.go to workflow tab in configuration

3.select macro ->iterative

4.apply

5.go to View on top toolbar, select interface designer.. choose input and iterative output.

Labels