Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Nested IF Date format problem.

Aleksander_Gorski
7 - Meteor

Hi All,

I have a problem in handling Nested If statement and I don't understand why is not working.

I am afraid that problem occurs because of date format.

Could you please help me with this?

1 REPLY 1
LukeM

Hi @Aleksander_Gorski,

I have fixed your IF statement and the workflow is attached. You have to be careful when dealing with dates in Alteryx as they have to be in a certain format and you must use the functions available in the formula tool to manipulate the data in the way you need. A few key things to note:

• DateTimeParse(<date>,<format>) - you need to use this to inform Alteryx that the string value "01-01-2019" needs to be treated as a date and what the particular date format is. Check here for Date Format syntax.
  • DateTimeDiff(dt1,dt2,'years') - to find the difference between dates.
  • In an IF statement, you shouldn't refer to the field - it should read 'THEN 5' not 'THEN [FieldName] = 5'

If [End date] < DateTimeParse("01-01-2019",'%d-%m-%Y')
Then 5

ElseIf [End date] = "" 
Then

ElseIf [End date] > DateTimeParse("01-01-2119",'%d-%m-%Y')
Then

Else

If [Start Date] > DateTimeParse("01-01-2019",'%d-%m-%Y') 
	Then

DateTimeDiff([End date],[Start Date],'years')

Else

DateTimeDiff([End date], DateTimeParse("01-01-2019",'%d-%m-%Y'),'years')

EndIf

EndIf

Hope this helps. Please refer to to the help documentation - https://help.alteryx.com/current/Reference/Functions.htm?Highlight=datetimeformat - if you need some more information on some of these DateTime functions. Let us know if you have any more questions or need any more help.

Best,

Luke 

Labels