Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Nested IF Date format problem.

Aleksander_Gorski
7 - Meteor

Hi All,

I have a problem in handling Nested If statement and I don't understand why is not working.

I am afraid that problem occurs because of date format.

Could you please help me with this?

1 REPLY 1
LukeM

Hi @Aleksander_Gorski,

I have fixed your IF statement and the workflow is attached. You have to be careful when dealing with dates in Alteryx as they have to be in a certain format and you must use the functions available in the formula tool to manipulate the data in the way you need. A few key things to note:

• DateTimeParse(<date>,<format>) - you need to use this to inform Alteryx that the string value "01-01-2019" needs to be treated as a date and what the particular date format is. Check here for Date Format syntax.
  • DateTimeDiff(dt1,dt2,'years') - to find the difference between dates.
  • In an IF statement, you shouldn't refer to the field - it should read 'THEN 5' not 'THEN [FieldName] = 5'

If [End date] < DateTimeParse("01-01-2019",'%d-%m-%Y')
Then 5

ElseIf [End date] = "" 
Then

ElseIf [End date] > DateTimeParse("01-01-2119",'%d-%m-%Y')
Then

Else

If [Start Date] > DateTimeParse("01-01-2019",'%d-%m-%Y') 
	Then

DateTimeDiff([End date],[Start Date],'years')

Else

DateTimeDiff([End date], DateTimeParse("01-01-2019",'%d-%m-%Y'),'years')

EndIf

EndIf

Hope this helps. Please refer to to the help documentation - https://help.alteryx.com/current/Reference/Functions.htm?Highlight=datetimeformat - if you need some more information on some of these DateTime functions. Let us know if you have any more questions or need any more help.

Best,

Luke 

Labels