Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Nerd Alert: Alteryx Tool Flash Cards

justindavis
10 - Fireball

Maybe you've been using Alteryx for a long, long time. Or maybe you're like me - relatively new to the tool and doing everything you can to learn all the things. After passing the Designer Core certification and setting my sights on prepping for the Designer Advanced, I realized one of the things limiting me is that there are so many tools at my disposal that I simply don't get exposed to.

Yes, absolutely, the weekly challenges are fantastic for learning and practicing new tools - but if you're challenging yourself to complete those challenges without looking at others' solutions first, it may not stick quite the same way.

I'm a more systematic learner so I wanted a way to work through all of the tools and be able to (1) recognize them visually by their icon alone, and (2) know at least the base level description for each tool across the platform. So I kicked it old school and threw together some flash cards for tools in Alteryx Designer.

Hopefully these prove useful for at least one other person on the community who wants to nerd it up with a little studying to accelerate their recognition of the Alteryx tool set.

alteryx_flashcards_frontback.PNG

alteryx_flashcards_twopage.png

Tool Palettes Included:

• In/Out
  • Preparation
  • Join
  • Transform
  • Reporting
  • Documentation
  • Data Investigation
  • Interface
  • Developer
  • In-DB

If you print two-sided the cards' front and back should automatically align. Print them out on some cardstock and you've got some nice flash cards you can use personally or share with your team!

P.S. - If you notice any issues with the file please let me know and I'll try to revise as soon as I can.

P.P.S. - If anyone is aware of an already existing set of these, feel free to point them out -- I looked and had seen where a small set was created a few years ago but not in the format I was looking for with the icon on one side and name/palette/description on the other.

11 REPLIES 11
darryl5280
10 - Fireball

Great; Thanks I will be printing them of at my nearest Fedex/Kinkos store, and get them

Laminated.  As I haven't passed the Core Exam, after 5 tries because to me its full of Tools I have used, or now I'm biased and use my favorite tools over and over again.

justindavis
10 - Fireball

@darryl5280that's great! Let me know if they are helpful for you as you prepare. Also, for what it's worth, I plan on adding a second file containing the remainder of the tools in the near future.

aRivera
5 - Atom

Justin, these are really quite a resource - thank you! Have you considered creating an electronic version on an app like Quizlet? If you have the definition data in a structured format, it would be quick work using Quizlet's import tool. I can't do it quickly with the PDF version, otherwise would've and shared it here.

justindavis
10 - Fireball

@aRiverathat's a good idea! To compile these I pulled the tool descriptions from each palette's overview in the Alteryx Designer help documentation. If it would be helpful I can send you the Word document that generated the PDF.

aRivera
5 - Atom

I've ported this resource made by @justindavis over to the website/mobile app Quizlet, so now folks have two options for this study set. The terms included are the same, but note that the Quizlet version has a slightly different format: Name of the tool is on side 1, and the tool image and description are together on side 2.

Find them at https://quizlet.com/462528079/tools-of-alteryx-designer-flash-cards/. Enjoy!

joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

any way you could send the template? I'd love to help create more of these especially spatial,  and all the predictive tools! 

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
TawannaGillis
5 - Atom

Hello, thanks for the file.  However, I do not see any Tools listed for Parse.

HurYigit
6 - Meteoroid

This is going to help a lot. Thank you @justindavis 

pdave87
11 - Bolide

Flash cards are very helpful, thanks a lot for sharing this. 

Regards,

Pratik

Labels