Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Need to split data on a single excel sheet based on name of section

Gr4c3Sult
8 - Asteroid

Hi all,

I am automating a process and don't know how to split a sheet based on a named section with expanding and contracting data.

I have a single excel sheet that is divided into 4 sections (Details, Account Summary, Combined Pay Code Summary, Pay Code Summary) They have different column names and different data.  Please see attached, I have deleted the names to protect the data.  I need the four sections split so I can use them to combine and manipulate with other data sources and with each other.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Grace

5 REPLIES 5
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@Gr4c3Sult not sure how you want the output so I just used filter tool to split based on the given sections

binuacs_1-1654119196943.png

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @Gr4c3Sult,

I've used a multirow formula to add a section column. Each of your sections gets a different number:

IraWatt_0-1654118997812.png

This will allow you to use a filter tool to get each of your sections (please see attached workflow).

Any questions or issues please ask :)
HTH!
Ira

Gr4c3Sult
8 - Asteroid

AWESOME!  May I ask how you learned to create expressions?  I am only learning based on what I see others do.. most of the time I can see the pattern and logic then apply it to another situation.  This expression has exposed me to an IIF statement, which I am completely unfamiliar with.  I also don't understand the multi-Row Formula tool 100%

Any resources you can share is greatly appreciated!! :)  

Thank you for helping me solve this!!!

Grace

Gr4c3Sult
8 - Asteroid

@IraWatt Thank you!  That is a great solution!  I need to learn more about the multi-row formula tool for sure!!! 

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @Gr4c3Sult, no worries :) I would definitely recommended all the interactive videos on the community for finding out about all the tools: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/Multi-Row-Formula/ta-p/82872 

Labels