Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Need to split data on a single excel sheet based on name of section

Gr4c3Sult
8 - Asteroid

Hi all,

I am automating a process and don't know how to split a sheet based on a named section with expanding and contracting data.

I have a single excel sheet that is divided into 4 sections (Details, Account Summary, Combined Pay Code Summary, Pay Code Summary) They have different column names and different data.  Please see attached, I have deleted the names to protect the data.  I need the four sections split so I can use them to combine and manipulate with other data sources and with each other.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Grace

5 REPLIES 5
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@Gr4c3Sult not sure how you want the output so I just used filter tool to split based on the given sections

binuacs_1-1654119196943.png

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @Gr4c3Sult,

I've used a multirow formula to add a section column. Each of your sections gets a different number:

IraWatt_0-1654118997812.png

This will allow you to use a filter tool to get each of your sections (please see attached workflow).

Any questions or issues please ask :)
HTH!
Ira

Gr4c3Sult
8 - Asteroid

AWESOME!  May I ask how you learned to create expressions?  I am only learning based on what I see others do.. most of the time I can see the pattern and logic then apply it to another situation.  This expression has exposed me to an IIF statement, which I am completely unfamiliar with.  I also don't understand the multi-Row Formula tool 100%

Any resources you can share is greatly appreciated!! :)  

Thank you for helping me solve this!!!

Grace

Gr4c3Sult
8 - Asteroid

@IraWatt Thank you!  That is a great solution!  I need to learn more about the multi-row formula tool for sure!!! 

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @Gr4c3Sult, no worries :) I would definitely recommended all the interactive videos on the community for finding out about all the tools: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/Multi-Row-Formula/ta-p/82872 

Labels