Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Need to set Record Limit to -1 to avoid bringing in records

Bob_Blackey
11 - Bolide

I've worked with computers long enough to realize that when something looks weird to the average users there is often a "reasonable" explanation (I'm looking at you 0 based indexes).

On an Input Data tool (Excel) it would seem reasonable to assume that setting a record limit of 0 would bring in no records, instead it brings them all in.

You need to set the limit to -1 to just bring in the metadata. (which the help doesn't mention, found it in a Tips and Tricks)

Who's got a good reason/story?

Cheers,
Bob

P.S. If you don't happen to know the real reason I'd also be impressed by the most creative reason.

2 REPLIES 2
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
The reason is that 0 equals ALL. In the Stone Age, when you wanted to limit data you used 0 to indicate that you want all records.

-1 seems logical to me
Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Bob_Blackey
11 - Bolide

I thought I was up on my stone age knowledge, but I must have been out hunting and gathering that day of school. I'll have to go back and take a look at my old SNOBOL code.

Labels