Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Need to attach Income data from census to my data set

GD1
5 - Atom

Hello Everyone,

I have a list of stores, geocoded and I would like to append income data available from Census at block group level. What is the data set I need to use to do that? 

I currently have 2010 recent vintage on Alteryx. I dont see the income variable. I am quite new to Alteryx. Could I be missing anything ?

Thanks

Geetha

5 REPLIES 5
jrgo
14 - Magnetar

Hi @GD1 

That information is not included in the free census data. It is available in the Experian data which is included in the Business Insights Dataset which is an add-on license purchase.

GD1
5 - Atom

Thanks. I now have the experian data set. I dont have business insights license though (Not sure if this is info is pertinent).

I am trying to use the allocate append tool,to attach income data to my data. I took the lat lon, created spatial points and then a spatial trade area and the used the allocate append tool. Attaching the screen shots. However ,when I run, I am only seeing zeros in the income data. 

Can some one help on what I am missing?

Capture1.PNG

Capture 2.PNG

Capture 3.PNG

   

jrgo
14 - Magnetar

@GD1 

Your setup looks fine so if you're not getting any results, it could be, as you had mentioned, that you don't have a business insights license applied on your machine. I think we can test this theory using the Workflow I attached. Run it and look at the Browse tool. Below are the results I was able to return for the random point I selected. Possible the results you see may differ from mine depending on the vintage you have, but if you're still seeing 0's, I'm pretty sure it's because of licensing.

image.png

On that second image showing the warnings, that's just letting you know Excel does not support Spatial Object data types which, I think, are simply excluded when exported, but it does still complete.

YZHE
6 - Meteoroid

HI jrgo, 

Your info is very helpful regarding the business insights license.  I just installed the business insight data package from the Alteryx hard drive.   I tried your attached workflow but got all 0's.  Do I need to request a separate license from Alteryx to enable the use of the data package?  I am a little confused since I thought once I installed the data package then everything should flow thru automatically. 

Thanks a lot!

jrgo
14 - Magnetar

Hi @YZHE 

There’s no restriction on installing the data, but if you don’t have a business insights license attached to your machine, the data is inaccessible. So yes, Additional licensing may need to be procured if your org does not have any available to distribute to you.

Hope this helps!

Jimmy
Teknion Data Solutions

Labels