Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Need to Create a New Column based on Data in Excel File

kheuer
8 - Asteroid

I wrote a workflow that mass-loads 800 files with the same data schema into an access database. The flow works great, but I need to add one piece of data to my output. In all off my 800 xlsx input files, there is one value in cell C1 that I need to capture and add to the end of my one output tool. How do I best go about this? 

2017-11-28_9-04-59.png

4 REPLIES 4
jrgo
14 - Magnetar

@kheuer

Something like below is the approach I would take. However, not sure how this would fit in to your workflow specifically that's reading in 800 files. If it's not already set up as such, you'll need to convert it into a BATCH macro so that it can process each file independently.

image.png

kheuer
8 - Asteroid

@jrgo - this works really well, thank you! The only piece that complicates this is that Alteryx thinks that everything in line 1 is a header. Is there an option to tell Alteryx that this file does not have any headers?

1.png

2.png

jrgo
14 - Magnetar

@kheuer,

Yes. In the Input Tools configuration, there's an option to specify this.

image.png 

Check this box and Alteryx will no longer use the first row for headers for your input file.

kheuer
8 - Asteroid

Brilliant! This worked perfectly. Many thanks!

Labels