Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Need support on calculating total

SCK
8 - Asteroid

Hi All. Apologies if the question is already populated, however, I could not find a suitable response. I need help in calculating grand total which will pull values only from the rows that contains subtotals. I have attached an input and output file. Please help  me.

16 REPLIES 16
ImadZidan
12 - Quasar

Hello @SCK ,

Calculating the subtotal will need to be based on a criteria or a group or in other work a break point to tell me when to subtotal

Example

in your data yo have the below

name      4  6  6  8
 name1    5  5  7  5
 name 2   8  9  7  9
 subtotal  17 20 20 22   My question is here , how did you decide to subtotal here?
 name 3      2   4   6   7
 name 4    5   7   9  9
 subtotal  7 11 15 16  My question is here , how did you decide to subtotal here?

I hope this makes sense. 

SCK
8 - Asteroid

Yeah I understand what you are saying here. Is there a way maybe you could generate a blank row in between where i want to subtotal and then put in a condition saying if there is a blank calculate total?

ImadZidan
12 - Quasar

Hello @SCK ,

Well you can yes but the question will still stand.  Another thing you can decide to group and create subtotal every 3 rows. Let me give you an example and you will see it first hand.

ImadZidan
12 - Quasar

Hello @SCK ,

I have put together a grouping option. 

What it does is group the rows in threes and adds a subtotal after that.

The way to see it in action is by using your input file but first take out the all the subtotal and total records .

Have a look and may be it gives you an idea.

SCK
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for helping out. I managed to pull off the solution by combining different tools and got the result i needed. Your solution actually doubled the actual grand total. For example, if you look into the dummy output the grand total for science should be 24 however, your solution had a grand total of 48. However, thank you for your help, I got to learn some new expressions through this.

ImadZidan
12 - Quasar

Hello @SCK ,

brilliant, well done. I was sure we can always work something out.

SCK
8 - Asteroid

Agreed and thanks again for your help.

Labels