Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Need help with the action tool - csv parameter in action tool

Claire
8 - Asteroid

Hello

I am working on a workflow to automatize variables. 

The input file is a csv into a zip file. 

When I build my workflow I choose "Comma delimited text" (print screen 1) but I don t know if I need to enter this information in the action tool (print screen 2). 

The error message I have is the following : Impossible to open the archive

Could you please help me ? Do I need to enter another parameter in the action tool ? 

thanks. 

Regards, 

Claire

10 REPLIES 10
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Claire When configuring your action tool, it's important that you click on the line that you want updated. In my example picture below, I've selected the file-value line (you can tell because that line has a grey background):

Capture.PNG

You would want to make sure that the file-value line is selected on your action tools as well. 

If that doesn't solve the problem completely, I would suggest using the interface designer (opened from the view menu), specifically the test view option:

Capture.PNG

This will allow you to test that your action tools are working as expected.

Claire
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for your answer. 

My problem is about the parameter csv. 

When I select my zip file manually, I have to select the csv file and also the type of the file (screen shot 1 & 2)

When I select the type of the file (here csv : screen shot 2), I can click on the button "open".

I wonder if in the action tool I need to parameter this information in "formatspecific options" (screen shot 3). In the screenshot, we can see that csv is not mentionned.

Do you think I need to parameter it ? And how can I do ?

Thanks.

Claire 

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Without seeing the Input Tool Configuration, I can tell you in general that whatever you want to update in the Input Tool configuration has to be highlighted in the Action Tool (like Patrick said).

I can see in your screenshot that the delimiter in the Action Tool is a pipe (" | ").  If the delimiter is in fact the issue here, just click on that line in in the action tool, and replace the pipe with a comma.

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Claire My apologies if I explain something that you already know, but maybe that will help us solve the problem. 

First, is your input tool working when you click the green arrow to run your workflow? The action tools have no effect when you run it as a workflow using the green arrow. You can change any format specification options on the input tool to properly read the csv.

Second, ensure that the action tools are properly configured. From your pictures, it appears that you're trying to update a date in the csv filepath using the date the user selects. If that's correct, then you will need to make sure that the action tool has the file-value line selected. The action tool has a dropdown to perform numerous options, and the Update Value (default) option can only change one line of the tool it's attached to (the input tool in your case). So the action tool is basically starting with all the configurations in the existing input tool and making one modification (changing the date in your case) before it executes that input tool. This is only happening when run as an app.

As for where it's specifiying the csv part, there is a line in the format specifications called fileformatinner - value = "0" where the 0 is the number that corresponds for csv. Xlsx would be 25 for example.

So all those format specifications remain unchanged when run as an app (clicking the wand instead of the green arrow) since your action tool appears to just be updating the date. 

Feel free to post a sample workflow yxwz and csv that are causing you problems if you can. I can't tell from your error picture exactly what's happing.

Claire
8 - Asteroid

Hello, 

My input tool works when I click the green arrow to run my workflow.

I know that delimeters is "|"

Please find below my screen shot of the error message and enclosed the workflow. (I attached files in the previous mails)

Diapositive1.JPGDiapositive2.JPGIt seems that Alteryx finds the zip file but not the csv attached to zip file

do not hesitate to ask me more information

thanks for your help

Claire

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I see the issue.

You are using Calendar question tools.  This will pass in dates that are of the format YYYY-MM-DD.  In your input tool, you have the dates in format YYYYMMDD.

So you have a couple options.

Option 1 (and probably the easiest) - Swap out the Calendar question tools with Text Box question tools.  Indicate to the user that they need to enter format YYYYMMDD (I usually do this via the Default Text to Display "YYYYMMDD", but you can do it however you like).

Second option - Keep the Calendar question tools as is, have them go into ONE action tool, and connect JUST THAT ONE action tool to the Input Tool (get rid of the other action tool - you only need one).  In that one action tool, use the option to replace using a Formula, and then your formula would be:

"\\aietes\Echanges_Entreprises\00 - Sas\Métiers\Relances\Echanges STN\Archive globale\301400-STN-MANPOWERGROUPFRANCE-"+Replace([#1],'-','')+".zip|||301400-STN-PIECES-"+Replace ([#2],'-','')+".CSV"

where [#1] is the zip, and [#2] is the file.

Claire
8 - Asteroid

Hello, 

I modify my workflow with the formula and the second option. 

When I launch the workflow, the apps works but no file is found as you see in the following screen shot. It is strange because the way of my file is found. here, when I click, the window with all csv contained in the zip opens.  Diapositive1.JPGDiapositive2.JPG

I think it is problem of the parameter of Csv or zip. 

What is the parameter in the input file ? I have to choose csv or zip ? Because I have both formats (screen shot below)Diapositive1.JPG

In each case, the file is not found. 

do not hesitate to ask me more information.

Claire

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

That is a different configuration that what you sent in your actual YXWZ file.  You need to set the Input Tool configuration back to zip for the File Format, and back to the CSV file in the File in Archive setting.

Also, I don't know what the actual delimiter is in your CSVs.  Is it a comma or a pipe?  If it is a comma, then you need to also change that right in the Input Tool.

Here is the configuration you sent in your YXWZ, and this is what you should set it back to:

Community_01.jpg

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Claire I believe the results are saying that no output file is found. It's reading in the data correctly, but an app doesn't display results by default. I think all you would need to do is connect a browse tool at the end and then check your interface designer view to make sure that the browse tool is checked (note that Browse (8) is checked under on success show results to user):

Capture.PNG

Labels