Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Need help with the Text and Action Tools for an Analytic App

iwoodley
6 - Meteoroid

While i have been building workflows for a couple years now but only just getting into mapping analytic Apps to help other members of my team use some of the tools i have created. 

One thing i am having trouble with is using Text or Drop down and the Action tool to make changes to a workflow like the filter tool. Basically I want the end user to put in a Store Number or FSA (unit of postal geography like a ZIP code in Canada) via a drop down or text box and it updates the filter tool in my workflow to pull the appropriate data. After watching a few videos and trying the Text/Action tool several different ways i cant seem to get it to where a user can put an FSA in the text box and the filter tool pulls data from that FSA. Below is a screenshot of a basic App i have been working on and attached is the workflow. Can anyone help me out? 

App Question.jpg

3 REPLIES 3
NickC
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hello,

Within the action tool you need to select the replace a specific string and enter exactly the part of the filter that you want to replace.  So in this instance you were filtering on L4G, so whatever you manually type in the text box will now replace L4G in your filter tool.  

Please see attached workflow too.

Action.png

iwoodley
6 - Meteoroid

Thought i tried that. Looks like it is working now. Thanks for the help! 

bb213
8 - Asteroid

What if you would replace a specific character like "Y" or "N" and you only want to replace a specific instance of that character? I don't see an option for that.  Guessing I need to use a formula to update. 

Labels