Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Need help installing the arcgis module in the python tool

Not_That_Guy
7 - Meteor

Hello, Alteryxers.  I had a sweet custom tool that would download a ESRI Rest URL for any type of geometry, until I upgraded to Designer Version 2019.4.  Now it doesnt work.  I need help reinstalling the arcgis module in the python tool.  Has anyone else experienced this issue?  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

12 REPLIES 12
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

The upgrade just requires the python package to be downloaded again. If you have the line in your script to check for and install the package, make sure to run Alteryx as administrator. You can do so by right clicking the Alteryx icon on your desktop and clicking run as administrator. Then open the workflow and run. It should be able to install the python package and run your workflow. You only need to run as admin once for the python package to install and then subsequent runs should be all set. 

Not_That_Guy
7 - Meteor

Thank you, Brandon.  I tried running as admin and it did not work.  Attached is the error message in a txt file.  Possibly I am not properly explaining the issue.  Hopefully we can find a solution.  Happy Holidays.

Not_That_Guy
7 - Meteor

error message

Not_That_Guy
7 - Meteor

Figured it out.  Thanks!

Larissaah
7 - Meteor

Hi @Not_That_Guy ,

I apologize for dragging this old post up, but I think I'm having the same issue. Can't find many other Alteryx/arcpy users. Do you remember what you did to get around the error?

Thanks,

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Larissaah , you normally have to run Alteryx as Administrator by right clicking on the Alteryx icon and clicking "run as administrator" in the options that show up. Then you can run the Python script to install the required package.  This just needs to be done once to download/install the package and then Alteryx can be run normally. 

Larissaah
7 - Meteor

Thanks @BrandonB , for some reason, when I do that, my licenses go away, and it will not let me activate. Do I need a special license to be able to do that?

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Do you have the Alteryx non-admin installation? Have you tried opening a workflow, using a Python tool, and running 

Package.installPackages(['arcgis']) 

Larissaah
7 - Meteor

@BrandonB Yes, I am using the non-admin 2020.2 install currently. And also yes, when I run Package.installPackages(['arcgis']) , I get the same error mentioned above in this thread.

Labels