Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Need help: configure a workflow based on interface values

Thinesh_t
7 - Meteor

I built a workflow and i need to configure it to a single result file, end user may or may not provide the delimiters/no of columns but the workflow should manage to work accordingly without any error prompt.

i need a workflow as If the interface has values init then texttocolumns should execute and if the interface is blank then without any error prompt it will create the report.

Thinesh_t_0-1589819472151.png

9 REPLIES 9
Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Thinesh_t,

This is an example of where you'd want to bring in the detour tools (detour and detour end) to "go around" the text to columns tool in certain scenarios.

I've also connected up a checkbox interface tool to the detour tool to update the value with a formula:

IF [#1] THEN "False" ELSE "True" ENDIF

Essentially this says if checkbox is not ticked then detour around the text to columns (using the right anchor path) if it is ticked then go through the left output anchor and use the text to columns tool

Workflow:

Jonathan-Sherman_0-1589822618307.png

Interface:

Jonathan-Sherman_1-1589822663496.png

When checkbox is ticked, use text to columns tool:

Jonathan-Sherman_2-1589822697091.png

When checkbox is not ticked, detour and do not use text to columns tool:

Jonathan-Sherman_3-1589822728398.png

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know! I've attached my app for you to download if needed.

Regards,

Jonathan

grossal
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Thinesh_t,

take a good look at the suggestion from @Jonathan-Sherman. I think this is a good way to tackle the problem. I personally thought of going a macro route, because the user could still tick the box and avoid filling both parameters - a macro could work around it.

I would write your "parameters" into normal text input and put a formula behind it to check if both are filled (correctly) or not filled. You then pass everything (data and parameter + formula column) into a batch macro. You can disable or enable a container based on a control parameter. This allows you to disabled the text-to-columns output container if the formula finds missing (or event incorrect) parameters.

What do you think?

Best

Alex

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Thinesh_t,

As mentioned by @grossal this could also be a macro:

Splitting column:

Jonathan-Sherman_0-1589823930582.png

Not splitting column:

Jonathan-Sherman_1-1589823958567.png

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know! I've attached my workflow and macro for you to download if needed.

Regards,

Jonathan

Thinesh_t
7 - Meteor

@Jonathan-Sherman @grossal 

Thanks a lot for this support,  am got to know the purpose of those tools and how to handle in conditions.

I would like to know how a log can be stored after the execution as a separate text report or using SQL table any insight on this would be really helpful

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Thinesh_t,

What sort of log would you be looking for?

Regards,

Jonathan

Thinesh_t
7 - Meteor

a log which will say the execution result like (errors,messages,warnings,conv errors,file save path,file input path) along with who ran the tool and date and time

grossal
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

It sounds like you want this to be executed on the Alteryx Server. Simply enable logging in the Server Configuration and you should get this information:

grossal_1-1589826086733.png

(It's empty by default and therefore does not write logs)

Best

Alex

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Thinesh_t,

I think there are two main options there, firstly you could use "Events" to send an email with the log:

Jonathan-Sherman_0-1589825988662.png

Jonathan-Sherman_1-1589826007249.png

The other option is to change your user settings:

Jonathan-Sherman_2-1589826041601.png

Jonathan-Sherman_3-1589826074597.png

The second method would output logs of all workflows run, whilst the first method would only output logs for one workflow (workflow containing the event)

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know!

Regards,

Jonathan

thedr9wningman
8 - Asteroid

I'd like to do something similar using INDB tools, but I'm having a very difficult time with the interface and understanding what gets passed to the filter tool. 

To create a simple problem:

I have an INDB input: 

SELECT * 
FROM Foo

There is a column in Foo that has three values: X, Y, and Z; let's call it [brand].

My aim is to attach (1, 2, or 3?) a filter tool that receives input. The idea is to execute a WHERE clause (as an INDB filter is wont to do) that allows the user to filter for X, Y, and/or Z.

My difficulty is in: how do I make this interactivity possible?

1. Do I have each tick control a folder with an INDB filter in each?
    1. This doesn't work very well in practice: if all three are closed, the whole workflow breaks because of an unititiated union. That's a non-starter
  2. Can I use an action to update the code in the filter?

lower("brand") = 'x'

1. I'm stumped as to how to make all three show up here; that would require an OR clause and this gets pretty hairy quickly. I can't pass something with literal straight-quotes, and I can't seem to overwrite what is in the filter already
  2. Do I have to write a series of permutative IF clauses?
    1. That's not working too well because the SQL function I'm trying to pass to the filter isn't being recognised by Alteryx.
  3. Do I use detours?
  4. Do I use conditional interactivity?

I'm obviously lost on this. Please, @Jonathan-Sherman help if you can! @joshua_burkhow ?

If at first, second, third, fourth, and fifth you don't succeed, try Community.If at first, second, third, fourth, and fifth you don't succeed, try Community.

Thanks,

-Cedric

Labels