Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Need Solution to import multiple XLS sheets

Bren312
8 - Asteroid

Hi all, I'm hoping to get some help on a problem.  I've got multiple XLS workbooks in a directory which I need to import and append to complete a workflow (manually converting them to XLSX files is not an option; there are too many of them).  Some of the workbooks contain multiple sheets, some only contain one.  

The current process to do this is an iterative macro but it's no longer pulling all the required information and I can't suss out how to fix it.  I'm currently using 2019.2 and have attached a workflow with three inputs of dummy data; two of these represent Sheets 1 and 2 of a workbook and the third represents a separate workbook with one Sheet.  Hopefully that makes sense and someone can help me out.

EDIT:  The attached files are yxdb files, since I wasn't sure if embedding XLS files would work.

Thanks, and all the best!

Bren

4 REPLIES 4
markcurry
12 - Quasar

Hi @Bren312 

Excel does come with a conversion program that will let you convert from .xls to .xlsx, if you have multiple files you could run a batch file to convert them all.  

Excel Convert.JPG

Apart from that, sorry I'm not sure what your workflow is trying to do, but I'd have thought you'd need batch macro rather than an iterative macro.

Bren312
8 - Asteroid

Awesome; thanks Mark!  I'll give that a shot; I had no idea the Command Prompt could do that.

PhilippK
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi Bren,

I recently helped another community member with a similar challenge:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/XLS-Dynamic-Input/td-p/648959/page/2

Please let me know whether this helps you.

Best regards

Phil

Bren312
8 - Asteroid

Awesome; thanks so much for the help @PhilippK !  I really appreciate it.  Take care and all the best!

Bren

Labels