Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Need Help with Date/Time Parsing in AM/PM Format

ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Can someone help me with some date/time parsing? I have tried everything from BB Date to parsing with formulas to force a vstring into a date/time format. Specifically, I am having trouble with AM/PM part of the date. See attached workflow.

Thank you in advance!

8 REPLIES 8
JeffF
Alteryx
Alteryx

Here is an example that parses the AM/PM.  The key is to add 12 hours if it's PM.

matthew_slaughter
6 - Meteoroid

In expression 2 of your formula tool, you need another condition to check if the hour is 12 and meridiem is PM.  In that case, add 0 hours.

JeffF
Alteryx
Alteryx

Yes, and also check if it's 12AM and subtract 12 hours.

Here is the fixed workflow.

ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

As an Alteryx newbie, this parsing was a little over my head. Now that I see your solution, it makes sense! This was the last piece I needed to get my workflow working as envisioned. THANK YOU so much for this solution!

ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Thank you, Matthew!

JeffF
Alteryx
Alteryx

I'm happy to help!  I noticed I switched the day and month when parsing the date/time with AM/PM.  It's parsing dd/mm/yyyy instead of mm/dd/yyyy (European style) so Oct. 7th is parsed as July 10th.  It's a simple fix I'm sure you can handle, if you haven't already.

And thank you Matthew for pointing out those troublesome twelves.

matthew_slaughter
6 - Meteoroid

You're most welcome.  I am hoping that the next version of Alteryx has an improved Date/Time parsing or interpretation functions.

Gomes
8 - Asteroid

See my solution.

Labels