Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Naming the columns

Feras95p
8 - Asteroid

Dear all,

I'm facing a problem with naming the column, I have named the column from 1 to 5 the first five column and again the next five I named them from 1 to 5 but when I insert the excel sheet as an input to my workflow it became as shown in the picture attached below. 1_2 ... How can I make it 1 to 5 for all?

Capture.PNG 

8 REPLIES 8
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Feras95p 

In data tables all column names should be unique so that they can used in calculations. Having multiple columns with same name with create conflict in referencing hence they are renamed.

If you can provide more info on why you need column names in this way. We can help you out 🙂 

dhavaldoshi
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Feras95p , 

This is usually a common issue with Alteryx, it a field based tool, i.e. all operations are done on column names. So it wouldn't exactly make sense if there were multiple columns with same name as you couldn't perform any functions on the same.

Feras95p
8 - Asteroid

@dhavaldoshi @atcodedog05  Thanks for replying.

The problem is that I want to name the columns from Sunday to Thursday for almost 5 months then I want to know some data for all Sunday and the same of each day. But when I used summarize tool to group by all Sundays for the period of 5 months it gives Sunday 1 Sunday 2 .... but I want only Sunday  

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Feras95p 

Can you share a sample file with headers.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Feras95p 

You can regex formula like below to normalize the weekdays. And you can use this column for groupby.

REGEX_Replace([Field1], "(\u+)\d*", "$1")

Workflow:

atcodedog05_0-1626508262615.png

Hope this helps : )

Feras95p
8 - Asteroid

Still have _4 issue as shown in the picturek.PNG and file attached

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Feras95p 

Here is the regex formula.

REGEX_Replace([Name], "(\u+)[_\d]*", "$1")

Workflow:

atcodedog05_0-1626509591175.png

Hope this helps : )

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @Feras95p 

While it's true that the field names in Alteryx have to be unique, this doesn't mean that can't you read the values anyway.  You just have to ensure that the Day Numbers aren't used as field names. 

danilang_5-1626528543383.png

To use the Excel column number as the column name, check "First Row Contains Data" in your Input Data tool

danilang_1-1626528244434.png

With this checked, your first row from your excel file becomes the first row of your data. You then completely transpose the data using a transpose/crosstab combo to give you this.

danilang_3-1626528396007.png

From here you can apply summary operations with Day_Number as the Group By field

danilang_4-1626528482048.png

danilang_6-1626528583384.png

Dan

Labels