Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Named Range not correctly recognized by input tool

bprackleycpa
6 - Meteoroid

I have a situation where my named range is C9:F427 (headers in C9:F9)

Alteryx is recognizing that my header row is row 9, but it's considering columns A and B as fields and assigned headers F1 and F2 respectively.

I've restarted my PC, deleted and reconfigured the input data tool.

It may be worth mentioning that this behavior started after I tried to save this workflow to the Gallery. Pls help me!

4 REPLIES 4
echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I'd have to take a look at your workflow to figure out what may be causing this, but I figured I'd suggest a few workarounds as well. 

Are you on 2020.1? In the updated version, you are now able to specify a range directly in the input data tool.

echuong1_0-1585840645183.png

Alternatively, you can use a select/dynamic select tool to remove the two unwanted fields.

bprackleycpa
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for the workaround suggestions!

I am using 2020.1.

The primary reason for wanting to use a named range is that the range may expand or contract in terms of the number of records and I don't trust users to update this accurately in designer nor via an interface. I think I'll use the select tool in the short run. I've also opened a ticket with Support to dig into why this is happening. 

Thanks again

ntobon
Alteryx
Alteryx

I found a workaround: Open“Master Data” file, go to sheet 'Elements', enter 0 in cell A9 and save the file. That will solve the problem, you won't see the F1 and F2 columns with Null values. 
I will check if you are running into a known defect. 

bprackleycpa
6 - Meteoroid

I received this email

new Defect: "DE24477 - Excel with name range or specified range with header that contains filter does not produce expected result".

It appears that this is due to the Header with filters (the drop downs).  If you do a name range or specify a range with that in the range you get the two extraneous columns.  If you do not have the header with the filters in the named range or specified range you get the expected result.

This Defect will be reviewed by our development team. We will notify you of any updates we receive.

Labels