Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Named Pipe Error/Pipe Closing

Treyson
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

This is not a product idea but rather a need for missing documentation on this sort of ambiguous named pipe error that I have been seeing more and more often.

There is an error that Alteryx produces that looks something to the effect of this (pulled from another thread):

Designer x64: The Designer x64 reported: AlteryxProcessManager::Start: ConnectNamedPipe: Error in ConnectNamedPipe. The pipe is being closed.

I and others are seeing this error for a variety of reasons and as far as I understand it so far, each scenario can produce it for a different reason.

I would like to request that a blog post be created describing generally what this means, and how to help diagnose it. As a longtime user, this is the most incredibly frustrating error that I have ever come across because it is not super specific and not well documented. I can only imagine running into it as a new user.

Treyson Marks
Senior Analytics Engineer
9 REPLIES 9
HomesickSurfer
12 - Quasar

Thank you for raising this idea.  As a new user, learning and operating both at home and in office, I've encountered this error countless times and without any solution.  I save my workflow, close the designer, free up memory on my pc, launch the workflow again and run....same error over and over again.

Treyson
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

@HomesickSurfer I am right there with you! I will say though, since you brought up a home computer. There is a known error with McAfee. Do you have McAfee installed?

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/ConnectNamePipe-The-pipe-is-being-clos...

Treyson Marks
HomesickSurfer
12 - Quasar

Thank you Treyson.  I do have McAfee installed an running.  I will review the post and make changes accordingly.

TrevorS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hello Treyson!

Thank you for posting regarding the error message you have been encountering.

We have a few different posts referencing to this error on the community with solutions applied, and we will continue to work on our error handling as we progress. Please use the link below to see one of those discussions.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Error-in-ConnectNamedPipe/td-p/81262

We will be adding this error message to our blog lists shortly, to allow easier identification and solution to others who may come across this issue in the future.

Thank you again!

TrevorS

Community Moderator
HomesickSurfer
12 - Quasar

Hi.  McAfee Real-Time scanning was the problem.  By temporarily turning it off while using Alteryx solved the problem.  I have since modified 'what to scan' following this procedure and problem-free!  Thx.  https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB89354&actp=null&viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_U...

NeilR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Treyson
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Thank you for following up! I should probably clarify here.

My frustration is that both McAfee and this hyper write out error, have an almost identical error message. Two seemingly unrelated issues, both reading some sort of error related to a NamedPipe.

What is a NamedPipe and why is my pipe being closed or ended? This is really what I was hoping to get some clarification on.

Treyson Marks
NeilR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

The NamedPipe error essentially means the engine has crashed. We will be changing the error message in a future release to say this.

Treyson
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Thank you @NeilR

Treyson Marks
Labels