community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Upgrade Alteryx Designer in 10 Steps

Debating whether or not to upgrade to the latest version of Alteryx Designer?

LEARN MORE

NULL values in output when not NULL in input

Meteoroid

Hi all!

I am having a problem with an Alteryx workflow creating NULL values in my output file when there are not NULL values in my original input files. I am trying to combine twelve Excel files (one for each month of the year) into one output with summarized data. However, the NULL values appear in my output only for some months, not all. I have checked the formatting of my input files to ensure consistency and tried changing the data types in my workflow... but still I receive NULL values where there shouldn't be.

Any ideas on how I can correct this issue? I'd greatly appreciate any ideas, as I am a new user to Alteryx.

Thanks,

April

Alteryx Capture.PNG

Alteryx Certified Partner
Alteryx Certified Partner

@Amehok,

I have seen NULLs come into my data before.  Your picture doesn't provide me with a clear view of what's going on with the data, but maybe my mistake is your's too.

A variable is defined as a Number, but that definition is too small for the data.  As an example, you've got an integer (INT16) and you try to put 100,000 into it.  INT16 only goes up to 32,xxx (excuse me for not memorizing the exact value).   In this case you'll get a NULL value.

If this is the case, changing to INT64 or DOUBLE will solve the problem.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and reboot. Order shall return.
Labels