Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

NULL not Showing - Cannot remove Empty Fields from Output

Commods
6 - Meteoroid

Hey Team,

This should be a simple ask [for you clever people]

I and making a join and trying to remove fields that are empty. However, the blank fields are simply empty and therefore not being picked up when looking for NULL fields. Therefore, blank Fields remain in the output.

Where am I going wrong? 

Commods_0-1579861821743.png

Commods_1-1579861877001.png

Thank you 🙂

7 REPLIES 7
JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Commods can you not change your filter from !IsNull to !IsEmpty as this will find the null and empty fields and filter them out? This snapshot from the documentation showcases this.

Isempty.PNG

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @Commods,

Emtpy values and null values are different, they dont represent the same information.

Untitled.png

When you have null values and want o check something you sould use "IsNull([Field1])"

On the other hand if the fields are empty you need to use "Isempty([Field1]])"

You can also check if your fields are empty or null depending on the color of the bar under the field (like on the image I shared):

- Yellow -> Null values

- Grey -> Empty values

Regards

Commods
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you,

I think my question is why do the cells show empty? How can I get them to display Null? 

Normally empty cells show as null:

Commods_0-1579862569730.png

But mine are showing nothing (empty): 

Commods_1-1579862640788.png

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Use the following command on the formula tool for the Client_Domain:

IF IsEmpty([Client_Domain]) THEN Null() ENDIF

Do the same for the Client_Logon

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Regards

Commods
6 - Meteoroid

To remove the empty fields I am CountNotNull in summary to the identify =0 to remove blank fields. 

Appreciate that I can write this as formula, but I have 47 fields that can vary as the input query is executed daily. 

Hope this makes sense - thank you for the quick turnaround in replying 🙂

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @Commods,

You can also use the multifield formula for this. This will apply the same formula for different fields:

Untitled.png

You just need to deselect where you don't want the filter to be applied. With that and selecting the 'dynamic' option it will take the new appearing fields and apply the same rule.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Regards

Commods
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you, this worked but deselected:

Commods_0-1579865542843.png

Selected:

Commods_1-1579865592179.png

This was my first time using the multifield tool (unlikely to be my last)

Thank You Kindly

Labels