Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

NESTED IF STATEMENT

keithr197
7 - Meteor

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me with this. I am using the formula tool to apply the following formula to a column, however im receiving an error:

IF IsEmpty ([PARTY TYPE])= 1 THEN "Entity" ELSEIF [PARTY TYPE]=2 THEN "Individual" ELSE "Investigation" ENDIF

Can anyone please help

3 REPLIES 3
AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi @keithr197 ,

The ISempty function does not need and =1 sign after it so that's probably what's causing the error. Try

IF IsEmpty ([PARTY TYPE]) THEN "Entity" ELSEIF [PARTY TYPE]=2 THEN "Individual" ELSE "Investigation" ENDIF

Hope that helps, let me know if that worked for you.

Cheers,

Angelos

keithr197
7 - Meteor

Hi @AngelosPachis

Thanks for your prompt response however im still getting an error.

Error: "Invalid type in operator=="

AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Ah I see @keithr197 ,

That error is probably because the [Party Type] field is a string, but you're comparing it against a numeric value. Try wrapping the 2 in quotation marks, so

[Party Type]="2"

or

you can convert the field [Party Type] into a number just for this expression by using the ToNumber function, so

ToNumber([Party Type])=2

Hope that does it.

Labels